Slow Cooked Pulled Chicken is a super easy slow cooker recipe to make, has an amazing lemon garlic flavour and can be used as the base for many other dishes or on its own with rice, quinoa, vegetables or salad.
This slow cooker lemon garlic shredded chicken recipe is a great recipe that you can use in so many other recipes. I love to make up a bulk batch and use it for lunches or for the base of my chicken Buddha bowl.
It also ticks all the food lifestyle boxes.....keto, low carb high fat, paleo, gluten free & dairy free!!
Table of Contents
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS RECIPE
Easy to make - This crock pot pulled chicken recipe is super easy to make.
Healthy wholefood ingredients - which are easy to find at any supermarket, health store, food markets or on-line store.
Allergy and intolerance friendly - this recipe is suitable for people with gluten, dairy, nut allergies & intolerances as well as many other dietary requirements.
Can be used as the base for other recipes - This pulled chicken recipe can be used in many other recipes likes salads, nachos, tacos, soups, omelets, rice/quinoa bowls and many more.
RECIPE INGREDIENTS & VARIATIONS
Chicken - I have only tested this recipe with chicken breast so not sure if other cuts of chicken will work as well.
Butter - you can substitute the butter with coconut oil if you are dairy free
Chicken stock - Homemade chicken stock is preferable to use but there are some great store bought options out there. My favourite are from Maggie Beer .
Dried Oregano - you could use fresh herbs as well or even a mixed herb blend. Italian herbs would be nice as well.
I recommend shredding the chicken with two forks once it is ready or has cooled down slightly. It is best to shred while it is still warm. Shredding cooled chicken is harder to pull apart.
If you are going to store the chicken in the refrigerator then you can store it for 3-4 days. If you are going to freeze it, then the chicken needs to be placed in a freezer safe bag, with all the air removed. It should last up to 3 months.
If you are going to store the chicken in the refrigerator, then I recommend pouring one cup of the liquid from the slow cooker to the chicken when you place it in an air-tight container.
Looking for other slow cooker recipes? Try these:
Lastly, if you make this slow cooker meal then I would love to hear from you. You can either leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! If you do make this recipe, please tag me on Instagram! It really makes my day when I see your creations of my recipes.
Slow Cooked Pulled Chicken
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter or coconut oil also works
- 2.2 lbs chicken breast
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ½ cup lemon juice
- Prep dry rub. Mix the dried oregano, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Rub the chicken breast with the mixture.
- Prepare chicken breast. Heat the coconut oil (or butter) in large skillet over medium-high heat and brown the chicken breast for a few minutes on both sides. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients. In the same skillet on medium heat, add the minced garlic and cook for 10 seconds. Then, add the chicken stock and lemon juice, bring to the boil and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add to slow cooker. Then, pour the mixture over the chicken. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until the chicken is cooked through and easily comes apart.
- Shred. Shred the chicken with two forks and serve with quinoa (or cauliflower rice) and some steamed vegetables.