This slow cooker chicken cacciatore is the perfect slow cooker recipe to warm you up during the winter months. Gluten free, diary free, keto and paleo.
I decided to create a slow cooker version of one of my favourite childhood meals.
I am a big fan of slow cooker recipes as there is nothing better than getting your dinner sorted early in the day and letting it cook all day.
The smell is always so good and I love how it wafts throughout the house
This is a big meal, so if you don't have eight people to feed, you will have leftovers for lunch the next day.
- 2 kgs | 4.4 lbs chicken pieces
- 2-3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 - 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced thinly
- 2 celery stalks, sliced thinly
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 2 x tins (400gms | 14 ounces) chopped organic tinned tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon organic tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 1 cup olives, pitted
- Heat coconut oil in a large skillet on moderate-high heat and brown the chicken pieces, approximately 3-4 minutes each side. You will probably need to do this in a few batches and may need to add some extra coconut oil.
- Once the chicken is browned, add to the slow cooker with the remaining ingredients (except the mushrooms and olives), mixing well to combine. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Add the mushrooms and olives to the slow cooker in the last 30 minutes of cooking and stir to combine.
- Serve with your favourite side and enjoy
This goes well with quinoa, zucchini noodles or cauliflower rice.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 589Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 292mgSodium: 453mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 68g