Veal Pizzaiola is an easy make traditional Italian dish consisting of veal topped with a tomato and garlic sauce.
PIzziaola is a meal that I grew eating as a kid. My mum would serve it with mashed potatoes and green vegetables.It was a family favourite then, and it is still a winner today.
My version is pretty similar to Mum’s one, though I prefer to serve it without the mashed potato – my favourite sides are sweet potato fries and steamed broccoli.
You can also make this meal with sirloin steak or chicken.
This is the latest in a series of winter warmer recipes, most of which are old-school family favourites (thanks Mum). You may want to check out Red Lentil & Quinoa Soup , Chicken & Vegetable Soup and Vegetable & Lentil Soup.
I would love to hear from you if you make this recipe. You can either leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! If you do make this recipe, please tag me on Instagram! It really makes my day when I see your creations of my recipes.
- 600 grams veal schnitzel steak
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tin organic crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon organic tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chili flakes, to taste
- Add oil to a large fry pan on medium heat.
- Add veal, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, oregano, thyme, pepper, salt and chili flakes (in that order).
- Cook for 10 minutes or until veal is browned.
- Remove veal from the fry pan (leaving the sauce) and place on a plate, covering with foil.
- Cook the sauce for 5-10 more minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Serve veal with sauce on top and with your favourite steamed vegetables.