Slow Cooker Osso Buco has to be one of the tastiest meals ever. The meat is so tender and is literally falling off the bone and it is always a winner whenever I make it.
Osso Buco is one meal that my family grew up with.
My mumma would make it a few times a years and my version has been adapted to be made in a slow cooker, plus my version is low carb. Other family favourite recipes that I have adapted include Veal Pizzaiola and Middle Eastern Lentil Soup.
It is best to prepare this crock pot osso buco in the morning and then let it cook all day and serve it with quinoa, cauliflower rice or zucchini noodles.
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS RECIPE
Gluten & dairy free – suitable for people with gluten & dairy intolerances.
Easy to make – this recipe is super easy to make and requires only a few steps.
Packed full of flavour – you can’t beat the amazing flavour of this recipe.
Made with fresh wholefood ingredients – which are easy to find at any supermarket, health store, food markets or on-line store.
- Osso buco (beef shanks)
- Tin organic tomatoes
- Dried thyme leaves
- Beef or vegetable stock (preferably home made or organic – make sure you get the real stuff, not the fake flavour varieties)
- Arrowroot powder or you can use tapioca or even gluten free powder
- Coconut oil or olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
Looking for more family favourite recipes that I have made? Try these:
I would love to hear from you if you make this recipe. You can either leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! If you do make this recipe, please tag me on Instagram! It really makes my day when I see your creations of my recipes.
Slow Cooker Osso Buco
- 4 beef shanks (osso buco) medium sized
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 1 - 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 onions medium, diced
- 2 carrots medium, cut into small pieces
- 2 celery stalks cut into small pieces
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tin tomatoes organic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup beef stock preferably home made or organic
- Fresh parsley minced
- Lemon zest
- Season the shanks. Season arrowroot powder with sea salt and pepper and coat the shanks in the powder, shaking off any excess. Ensure that you coat the shanks evenly
- Heat fry pan. Heat a large, non-stick fry pan on moderate-high heat, then add the coconut oil.
- Brown shanks. Once the oil has melted, add the shanks and cook until they are browned on all sides (approximately 6 minutes). Then remove the shanks from the pan and place in the slow cooker.
- Saute Vegetables. Then add the onion, garlic, carrot and celery and cook until for approximately 5 minutes or until golden and soft. The add the tomatoes and thyme leaves and stir to combine. Cook for a further 5 minutes and then transfer to the slow cooker.
- Cook. Add the stock to the slow cooker and cook for 8 hours on low or 5 hours on high until the meat is tender and is practically falling off the bone.
- Serve.To serve, spoon the osso buco into bowls and top with the parsley and lemon zest.