Crock Pot Cashew Chicken is my healthy slow cooker version of the super popular cashew chicken. This version is gluten free, dairy free and tastes amazing.
Cashew chicken is one of my all time favourite meals and I just had to adapt it to be made using a slow cooker.
I usually make it with quinoa or rice and some steamed green broccoli, which you can add to the slow cooker in the last hour of cooking.
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS RECIPE
Gluten & dairy free – suitable for people with gluten & dairy intolerances.
Easy to make – this slow cooker cashew chicken is super easy to make and requires only a few steps.
Packed full of flavour – you can’t beat the amazing flavour of this recipe.
Made with fresh wholefood ingredients – which are easy to find at any supermarket, health store, food markets or on-line store.
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED
- Chicken thighs or you can use chicken breast
- Raw cashews
- Coconut aminos or you can use tamari sauce
- Coconut vinegar or you can use apple cider vinegar or rice wine vinegar
- Arrowroot or tapioca flour
- Coconut oil
- Tomato paste
- Coconut sugar
- Garlic cloves
- Chili flakes
Quinoa or rice goes perfectly with this dish
I like to add green vegetables like broccoli or beans in the last hour of cooking
Soy sauce or tamari can be substituted for coconut amino sauce and rice wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar can be substituted for the coconut vinegar.
Lastly, if you make this meal then I would love to hear from you. You can either leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! If you do make this recipe, please tag me on Instagram! It really makes my day when I see your creations of my recipes.
Crock Pot Cashew Chicken
- 1/4 cup arrowroot tapioca flour
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2.2 lbs chicken thighs or chicken breast, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or olive oil
- 3 tablespoons coconut amino sauce or you can use tamari or wheat free soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons coconut vinegar or you can use rice wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger minced
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- Prepare the chicken: Season arrowroot with black pepper in a bowl and add the chicken and coat well.
- Brown the chicken: Melt coconut oil in a large fry pan on moderate heat. Add chicken and cook for about 5 minutes until browned on all sides. Remove chicken and add to your crock pot or slow cooker.
- Cook on low heat: Mix rest of the ingredients (except cashews) in a small bowl and pour over chicken and toss to coat. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- Serve: Once you are ready to serve, stir the cashews into chicken and sauce and serve with quinoa (or rice if you prefer).