This Mint Coconut Rough is the yummiest raw chocolate treat. Only takes a couple of minutes to make and 30-60 minutes to set.
How good is coconut rough! It is one of the easiest raw chocolate recipes that you can make.
I make it regularly, probably at least every 1 -2 weeks and it perfect for when you have guests coming over last minute. You can change up the flavours easily. I have made orange, raspberry and peppermint. There are many other flavours that you can try too.
Gluten & dairy free - this recipe is suitable for people with gluten, dairy, nut allergies & intolerances as well as many other dietary requirements.
Easy to make - this recipe takes 5 minutes to make and approximately 1 hour to set.
Healthy wholefood ingredients - which are easy to find at any supermarket.
- Shredded organic coconut (desiccated coconut also works well)
- Coconut oil
- Cacao powder
- Maple syrup
- Peppermint essential oil (or peppermint extract)
I didn't toast the shredded coconut for this version, but it works well either way. Anything to save a bit of time is always a big plus for me, when I have a lot going on.
Yes you can! You can keep stored in your refrigerator for up to 1 week or you can store in the freezer for up to 6 months. You will need allow 5 minutes to thaw them out before eating.
I highly recommend using a food grade peppermint essential oil if you can. Peppermint extract is just not the same as a good quality essential oil and the flavour is definitely not the same.
Looking for other raw chocolate recipes? Try these:
Lastly, I would love to hear from you if you make this recipe. You can either leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! If you do make this recipe, please tag me on Instagram! It really makes my day when I see your creations of my recipes.
Mint Coconut Rough
- 1 ½ cups shredded coconut desiccated coconut also works well
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup cacao powder
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 6 drops food grade peppermint essential oil or peppermint extract
- Raw Chocolate: Melt the coconut oil in a saucepan on low heat. Once melted, remove from heat, add the maple syrup, whisking briskly until well combined. Then add the cacao powder, stirring until well mixed through.
- Mix Ingredients: Place the shredded coconut and peppermint essential oil into the saucepan and stir through the chocolate mixture. Spread evenly on a lined baking tray and place in the freezer for 30 - 60 minutes to set.
- Cut into slices: Slice in desired sized pieces and serve.
- I recommend storing in the freezer to keep it firm.
- Cook time does not include the time it takes for the minty coconut rough to freeze — approximately 30-60 minutes, depending on the temperature of your freezer.