As you'd know by now, Becomingness is all about sharing recipes that are delicious and healthy. So it is kind of surprising that salads - a dish most people associate with healthy eating - haven't featured more often.
I've been working to remedy the situation - in the last month of so I have shared quite a few salads and my Pumpkin, Beetroot & Avocado Salad is another delicious step in the right direction!
Whilst this is not a salad that you can throw together in ten minutes, it is quite robust and can be eaten as a light meal by itself, or served as a side or part of a buffet.
I strongly recommend it as a worthy addition to your recipe book - I put it up there with my Warm Chicken Salad - and received great reviews when I shared it at family lunch on the weekend.
I hope you enjoy my latest recipe.
- ½ cup chopped beetroot (approximately 4 small beetroot, peeled and chopped)
- 1 cup chopped kent pumpkin (approximately ½ small pumpkin, peeled, de-seeded and chopped)
- 4 cups baby spinach and rocket leaves
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon coconut vinegar 'balsamic style' (or balsamic vinegar would also work)
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Place pumpkin and beetroot on a baking tray lined with baking paper, cover with coconut oil and bake at 190° celsius for about 60 minutes or until soft. Remove from the oven and cool for a few minutes.
- Add the dressing ingredients to a small bowl, whisking well to combine.
- When ready to serve, place all the salad ingredients in a large bowl, then add the dressing and mix thoroughly.