Gluten Free Hot Cross Buns. The best thing about them is that they are so easy to make and taste AMAZING! You don't have to buy the additive and preservative loaded ones from the supermarket ever again!
I finally got around to making my gluten free hot cross buns, so that I could photograph them to share with you.
I originally made them with gluten free flour so that my daughter could eat them, which I have put notes at the bottom for anyone that wants the nut free version.
The next version that I made was with almond meal and coconut flour and WOW they so good.
They are really moist and the flavour is DELICIOUS!! I also made this version with a combination of sultanas and dried cranberries, but you could make them with just sultanas or even with dried apricots.
The best thing about these gluten free hot cross buns is that they are so easy to make and you don't have to buy the additive and preservative loaded ones from the supermarket ever again.
Have you looked at the label on those things!! WOWZERS!!
- 1 + ½ cup almond meal
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon (If using essential oils, you will need 1-2 drops cinnamon bark essential oil)
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 + ½ cups organic dried fruit (I made mine with sultanas and cranberries)
- 4 eggs, lightly whisked
- 1 cup almond milk
- ½ cup coconut oil
Crosses (double the mixture if you want thicker crosses)
- 1 egg whites
- 1 tablespoons coconut flour
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit) and line 12 muffins tins with 12 large muffin cases.
- Combine the almond meal, coconut flour, baking soda and the dried spices to a large bowl. Next, add the coconut sugar and dried fruit and mix well to combine.
- Combine the whisked eggs, almond milk, coconut oil and cinnamon bark/cassia essential oil (if using the essential oil instead of the cinnamon spice) to another bowl. Then pour the wet mixture into the large mixing bowl and stir until well combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly into the muffin cases and smooth the tops with the back of a dessert spoon.
- To make the crosses, add the egg whites and the coconut flour to a small bowl and mix until it forms a paste. Then, using two teaspoons or a piping bag, place a cross on the top of each bun.
- Place in the oven and cook for 25-30 minutes.
- Either serve as is or remove the muffin cases, so they resemble more like a hot cross bun.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 219Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 244mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 2gSugar: 14gProtein: 5g