This gluten free Anzac Slice is my adaptation of the popular biscuit made into a slice. The result is seriously tasty and as well as it being gluten free, it is also dairy free and refined sugar free!
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS RECIPE
Gluten & Dairy Free – suitable for people with gluten and dairy/lactose intolerances.
Easy to Make – this recipe involves several simple steps and about 30 minutes to make.
Healthy wholefood ingredients – which are easy to find at any supermarket, health store, food markets or on-line store.
Almond Meal – you can use almond meal or almond flour to make this Anzac Slice. If you see any clumps just make sure you break them up when you are mixing the dry ingredients together.
Coconut Oil – it does not matter if the coconut oil is liquid or solid as you will be warming it up, when you mix together the maple syrup
Maple Syrup – you could substitute another sweetener if you don’t have maple syrup, however I have not tried it. The key is to make sure it is mixed properly with the coconut oil.
HOW TO MAKE
1: Pre-heat oven. Pre-heat oven to 180 C | 355 F and lined a square baking tin with baking paper.
2: Prepare the wet ingredients. Warm the coconut oil and maple syrup in a small saucepan on low heat. Remove from the heat and whisk together. Then, whisk together the water and bi-carb soda in small bow. Then add to the maple syrup and coconut oil mixture and whisk to combine.
3: Prepare the dry ingredients. Add the almond meal, flaked almonds, shredded coconut and coconut sugar to a large mixing bowl and mix well to combine. Make sure you remove any clumps in the almond meal (if there are any).
4: Combine the wet and dry ingredients. Pour the liquid mixture in the mixing bowl with the dry ingredients and mix together really well.
5: Spoon the mixture into the baking pan. Add the Anzac mixture into the square baking pan and press down and smooth over with the back of a spoon or a wooden spoon.
6. Place into the oven and cook for 25-30 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool completely in tin before slicing.
To also make this recipe nut free you can swap the nut products.
Almond meal – you can swap the almond meal with gluten free flour blend. I am a big fan of the gluten free flours at Nodo.
Flaked Almonds – you can swap these with wheat free/gluten free oats. Oats is part of the original recipe so if you have oats that you can eat, then you can definitely use them instead of the flaked almonds.
TIPS AND FAQS
Store in an air-tight container (out of the fridge) for up to 5 days.
You could substitute with honey or rice malt syrup, however you need to make sure that the sweetener is mixed together well with the coconut oil.
Yes, you can! You won’t need to bake them for as long as you need to for the slice. I would recommend only cooking for approximately 15 minutes.
Looking for other baked desserts to make? Try these:
Lastly, if you make this baked slice, then I would love to hear from you. You can either leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! If you do make this recipe, please tag me on Instagram! It really makes my day when I see your creations of my recipes.
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 cup flaked almonds
- 1 cup organic shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon bi-carb soda
- Pre-heat oven. Preheat oven to 175 C / 347 F. Line square baking pan with baking paper
- Prepare wet ingredients. Melt the coconut oil and maple syrup in a saucepan over a low heat. Remove from the heat, whisk well to combine. Mix the bi-carb soda and water in a small bowl, then add to the coconut oil & syrup mixture, stirring thoroughly
- Prepare dry ingredients. Mix together the almond meal, flaked almonds, shredded coconut and coconut sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients. Pour the liquid mixture into the mixing bowl with the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Spoon the mixture into the baking pan. Spoon the mixture in square baking pan and press down and smooth over with the back of the spoon or a wooden spoon.
- Bake. Place into the oven on a middle rack and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden. Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares to serve.
- Storage. Store in an air-tight container for up to 5 days.