This easy-to-make vegetable slice is made with zucchini and sweet potato but you can easily substitute with other vegetables and it will still be a winner. You can also make it in bulk so you have extra for the week.
This vegetarian slice is a great recipe to add to your weekly meal planning as it is super easy to make and you can make extra which you can freeze.
You can also add in or substitute other vegetables as long as you keep the total vegetable quantity the same. It also works well either hot or cold and makes a great lunchbox addition.
Table of Contents
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS VEGETARIAN SLICE
Allergy and intolerance friendly - this recipe is suitable for people with gluten & dairy allergies & intolerances and you can also make it nut free.
Freezer Friendly - you can store any leftovers in your freezer.
Healthy wholefood ingredients - which are easy to find at any supermarket, health store, food markets or on-line store.
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED
- Sweet potato
- Almond flour
- Chives (or you can substitute parsley or basil)
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Chili flakes
SUBSTITUTIONS & VARIATIONS
- Dairy free - to make dairy free you can simply omit the feta. You don't need to adjust any other of the ingredients or cooking time.
- Nut free - substitue the almond flour with ⅓ cup coconut flour and add an extra egg, so you use 5 in total.
- Other vegetables - you can use other vegetables, like carrot, corn, peas, and onion. Just make sure you keep the total weight similar.
- Sundried tomatoes - adding some sundried tomatoes is great.
- Bacon - slice up some rashes of bacon and add to the slice mix before cooking.
- Other herbs - you can substitute the chives with parsley or basil.
RECIPE TIPS & FAQS
If you are wanting a nut free version, then simply add ⅓ coconut flour (instead of the almond meal) and add an extra egg (so 5 in total).
You can omit the feta to make this dairy free
This recipes freezes really well so you can freeze any leftovers. Just cut into your desired slices and freeze in an airtight container or ziplock bags.
Place the shredded zucchini on a few sheets of paper towel and sprinkle 1 teaspoon salt over the top. Leave for 20-30 minutes. The paper towel will absorb the moisture and then the zucchini is ready to use in the recipe.
Looking for other zucchini recipes? Try these:
Lastly, I would love to hear from you if you make this recipe. You can either leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! If you do make this recipe, please tag me on Instagram! It really makes my day when I see your creations of my recipes.
- 1.6 lbs sweet potatoes peeled and coarsely grated
- 1.3 lbs zucchini coarsely grated
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives roughly chopped
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 7 oz feta crumbled
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- Pre-heat oven. Pre-heat oven to 355 F |180 C.
- Remove excess water. Place the shredded zucchini on a few sheets of paper towel and sprinkle 1 teaspoon salt over the top. Leave for 20-30 minutes. The paper towel will absorb the moisture and then the zucchini is ready to use in the recipe.
- Prepare mixture. Add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl and mix until well combined. Spoon mixture into a baking dish lined with baking paper.
- Bake. Place in the oven and cook for approximately 35-40 minutes until set and golden on top.
- Serve. Let it cool for a few minutes and then slice to serve.