Crock Pot Honey Garlic Chicken is my slow cooker version of the super popular meal. It is delicious, healthy, easy to make and will be ready in four hours using your crock pot or slow cooker.
This gluten free honey chicken is amazing and super easy to make. It only takes 4 hours on the low setting to make this delicious meal. You can serve it with rice, quinoa or cauliflower rice and your favourite greens.
Table of Contents
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS RECIPE
Gluten & dairy free - suitable for people with gluten & dairy intolerances.
Easy to make - this recipe is super easy to make and requires only a few steps and four hours of slow cooking time.
Packed full of flavour - you can't beat the amazing flavour of this recipe.
Made with fresh wholefood ingredients - which are easy to find at any supermarket, health store, food markets or on-line store.
- Coconut oil
- Chicken breasts or you can use chicken thighs
- Arrowroot or Tapioca Flour. If you have neither you can use a gluten free flour also.
- Salt & pepper
- Coconut aminos which is a substitute for soy sauce. Tamari will also work well.
- Tomato paste
- Chili flakes
- Sesame seeds
SLOW COOKER AND CROCK POT TIPS
USE THE LOW SETTING - I recommend using the low setting for four hours to make this honey chicken. This will help to bring out the flavours. I only recommend using the high setting, if you are running short on time.
USE TAPIOCA FLOUR - Roll the meat in some tapioca flour (or other healthy thickener) to help thicken up the liquid while cooking.
ADDING GREENS - Always add the greens towards the end of cooking. This will ensure that they are not too soggy and/or discoloured.
You can serve it with rice, quinoa or cauliflower rice and your favourite greens. I like to add some broccoli to the honey chicken towards the end of the cooking time.
I do recommend cooking on low heat for four hours, but if you are short on time, then you can cook on high heat for two hours.
Looking for other slow cooker/crock pot recipes? Try these:
Lastly, if you make this meal then I would love to hear from you. You can either leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! If you do make this recipe, please tag me on Instagram! It really makes my day when I see your creations of my recipes.
Crock Pot Honey Garlic Chicken
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2.2 lbs chicken breasts or thighs, cut into small pieces
- ¼ cup arrowroot or Tapioca Flour
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ cup honey
- ½ cup coconut aminos or tamari or salt reduced soy sauce
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes adjust per your preferences
- 1 tablespoon Sesame seeds to serve
- Optional - Green vegetables like broccoli or green beans.
- Prepare Chicken: Season arrowroot with black pepper and salt in a large bowl, add the chicken and coat well.
- Brown Chicken: Melt 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil in a large fry pan on moderate heat. Add chicken and cook for about 5 minutes until browned on all sides. Remove chicken and add to slow cooker. You may need to cook the chicken in two batches.
- Prepare sauce: In a small bowl, combine honey, coconut aminos, tomato paste, garlic, red chili flakes and the remaining coconut oil. Combine well.
- Cook: Pour mixture over chicken and make sure the chicken is evenly coated. Cook on low for 4 hours.
- Add Greens (optional step): If you wanted to add greens, then add in the last hour of cooking.
- Serve: Sprinkle with sesame seeds and and serve with your favourite sides.