These Raw Caramel Slice Bites are one of the best raw treats ever. You can’t beat the combo of the coco-nutty base with the gooey caramel and the raw chocolate on top made into mini bite sized treats.
It’s official… I love caramel based desserts and my Raw caramel slice is my favourite raw dessert ever!! It is one of the very first raw desserts recipes that I shared on Becomingness and has always has been at the top of my favourite desserts list!
I absolutely love the combination of the coco-nutty base with the gooey raw caramel and the raw chocolate on top.
The reason I made this raw caramel slice recipe into smaller bite size pieces is in response to a question I am asked sometimes about how to cut my raw dessert slices without the chocolate cracking on top.
Gluten & Dairy Free – suitable for people with gluten and dairy/lactose intolerances.
Easy to Make – this recipe involves three layers which are all very easy to make. All you need is a food processor or a high speed blender to make each layer.
Healthy wholefood ingredients – which are easy to find at any supermarket, health store, food markets or on-line store.
- Macadamias – you can also use cashews or blanced almonds
- Medjool dates – make sure you use medjool dates for the base, however you run the risk of the base ingredients not sticking together. Medjool dates are much sticker than regular dates and my go-to when making raw desserts.
- Maple syrup – rice malt syrup also works well
- Cacao powder
- Desiccated coconut
- Coconut oil
- Vanilla extract
- Sea salt
I highly recommend using Medjool dates to make the base of this raw slice. Medjool dates are sticky so they really bind together all the ingredients really well.
If you use regular dates, you will most likely find that the mixture will not hold and you will need to use a little bit of coconut oil or nut butter for the base to stick together.
If you are finding that the base mixture is sticking to your spoon when pressing it into the mini muffin tray, you can dip a clean spoon into some coconut oil which will stop the mixture from sticking and also smooth down the layers.
This slice is best kept in an air-tight container in your freezer so that it stays nice and firm. Simply remove from the freezer and thaw for a few minutes before eating.
Looking for other raw slices to make? Try these:
Lastly, if you make this recipe then I would really love to hear from you. You can either leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! If you do make this recipe, please tag me on Instagram! It really makes my day when I see your creations of my recipes.
Raw Caramel Slice Bites
- 1/2 cup macadamias
- 6 medjool dates pitted
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup macadamias
- 7 medjool dates pitted
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or rice malt syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or rice malt syrup
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- To make the base layer Add the ingredients to a high speed blender or food processor and blend until it resembles fine crumbs and sticks together when pressed. Spoon mixture into a 24 mini muffin pan (see note below) and press down with the back of a teaspoon. Place it in the freezer.
- To make the caramel layer. Add the ingredients to a high speed blender and process until completely combined and smooth. Spoon the mixture onto the bases and smooth over with the back of a teaspoon (see note below) and place back into the freezer for at least 1 hour to set.
- To make the chocolate layer Melt the coconut oil in saucepan on low heat. Once melted, remove from heat and add the sweetener. Whisk briskly until well combined. Then add the cacao powder, stirring until well mixed through. Pour the chocolate on top of the caramel layer and place back into the freezer and let it set completely, approximately 3-4 hours. Once frozen, they are much easier to remove.
- Storage. I keep mine store in the freezer in an air tight container and remove them a few minutes before serving/eating.
- I recommend using a mini silicon muffin tray as it will be a much quicker task preparing and also when they are ready to remove from the tray. Alternatively, you can cut out little strips of baking paper to use as tabs at the bottom of the regular mini muffin tray, to make it easier to remove them from the muffin tray.
- The cook time does not include the time it takes for the raw caramel slice bites to freeze — approximately 3-4 hours, depending on the temperature of your freezer.