These apple cinnamon pancakes are made with buckwheat flour and are super easy to make. These gluten-free pancakes make a great breakfast option and the combination of apple and cinnamon is always a winner.
These pancakes taste just the traditional version! In fact, you wouldn't know that they were healthy and both gluten and dairy free if you had not read the ingredients.
The apple and cinnamon flavour is absolutely delicious and the best thing about these pancakes is that they are so easy to make (and I mean easy!).
If you like pancakes, then make sure you check out these raspberry pancakes which are also gluten free.
Table of Contents
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS RECIPE
Easy to Make - this recipe involves a couple of steps and takes less than 30 minutes to make.
Gluten & Dairy Free - suitable for people with gluten and dairy/lactose intolerances.
Healthy wholefood ingredients - which are easy to find at any supermarket, health store, food markets or on-line store.
- Buckwheat flour
- Coconut sugar
- Gluten free baking powder
- Ground cinnamon
- Almond milk (or your preferred milk)
- Granny smith apples
- Coconut oil
WHAT IS BUCKWHEAT FLOUR?
Buckwheat flour is not a wheat, grain or a cereal as the name would have to believe.
It is gluten free and is derived from the seeds of a flowering plant called Fagopyrum esculentum, more commonly known as buckwheat, which is related to rhubarb and sorrel.
Buckwheat has a good protein balance and is full of iron, B vitamins and calcium. It is beneficial for people who cannot tolerate wheat and wheat products
Nut free - substitute the almond milk with coconut milk or your preferred milk to make nut free
Vegan - You can substiute the egg in the recipe to make vegan with many different ingredients.
You can store leftover pancakes in your refrigerator for up to 5 days or in your freezer for up to 2 months. Make sure the pancakes have cooled down first before you freeze them and place them in a single layer on baking paper on a baking tray. Once frozen you can transfer to an air-tight container or zip lock bag.
Yes you can! Cut into small pieces and to the recipe the same way as grated apple.
You can easily store in your refrigerator for up to 5 days. Or up to 2 months in your freezer. Make sure you place them in a single layer on baking paper first. Once frozen place in an air-tight container or zip lock bag.
Looking for other amazing breakfast recipes? Try these:
Lastly, I would love to hear from you if you make any of my recipes. You can either leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! If you do make this recipe, please tag me on Instagram! It really makes my day when I see your creations of my recipes.
Apple Cinnamon Pancakes
- ½ cup buckwheat flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon You can add another teaspoon to make the cinnamon flavour stronger
- 1 egg lightly whisked
- ⅓ cup almond milk or your preferred milk
- 2 granny smith apples peeled, grated (approx 1 + ¼ cups grated apple)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil you may need more between batches
- Prepare pancakes. Combine buckwheat flour, coconut sugar and cinnamon in a bowl, mixing to combine. Add the egg and almond milk to another bowl, whisking lightly to combine. Combine dry and liquid mixtures and stir thoroughly. Stir in the apples.
- Cook pancakes. Heat coconut oil in a frying pan over low-medium heat. Pour ¼ cup of apple mixture into pan and flatten gently with the back of a spoon. Cook in batches, for 1 - 2 minutes each side or until lightly browned.