These Gluten Free Chocolate Rum Balls are a classic Christmas dessert that you must make during the festive season. Not only are these rum balls gluten free, they are also dairy free.
Traditionally rum balls are made with wafers or cookies and condensed milk which are not good for anyone with gluten and dairy/lactose intolerance.
So when I given this recipe from my friend Pia to include in my Christmas collection, I was super excited. These rum balls are gluten free and dairy free and are super easy to make.
If you are looking for more gluten free Christmas desserts then you must check out these Easy To Make Gluten Free Christmas Desserts, or if you are after dairy free, then check out Dairy Free Cake Recipes.
Ingredients You Need
- Dates (soaked in water)
- Almond meal
- Coconut oil
- Cacao powder
- Desiccated coconut
- Bacardi Rum or Rum essence
How To Make
These are really easy to make.
You need to process the dates until they are fairly smooth. Then, you add the dates and the remaining ingredients (except half of the desiccated coconut) to a bowl and mix until well combined and you have a nice smooth mixture.
Then you roll into balls and coat in the remaining desiccated coconut and place in the refrigerator to firm up.
If you want to keep the rum balls alcohol free, you can use a non-alcoholic rum spirit or rum essence.
If you plan on eating them in a few days, you can keep them stored in an air-tight container in your refrigerator. Or if you want them to last a bit longer, then you can keep them in your freezer.
More Christmas Recipes to Enjoy
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Gluten Free Chocolate Rum Balls
- 1 cup dates soaked in water for 10mins
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 tbs Bacardi Rum or or 1 tsp of rum essence, adjust for taste
- Blend dates until fairly smooth (some chunks are still fine), place in bowl and add in cacao powder, almond meal, 1/4 cup of desiccated coconut, coconut oil and the bacardi rum and combine until it reaches a smooth texture.
- Once the mixture is completely combined roll into small balls.
- Coat in remaining coconut, leave in the fridge for a couple of hours until they become firmer and enjoy!
- Store them in an airtight container in the fridge or freeze them to munch on later!