These raw mini peppermint slice bites are the best version of a healthy mint slice!! They are super easy to make and are completely dairy free, gluten free, refined sugar free and are vegan friendly.
Mint slice has always been a popular dessert and I remember eating various versions of mint slice when I was younger.
Do mint patties and after dinner mints ring a bell?
These are the mini versions of my raw peppermint slice that I shared several years ago and involve three amazing layers:
- The base layer which is made of dates, cashews or macadamias and raw cacao powder.
- The peppermint layer which is made of cashews or macadamias, desiccated coconut, pure maple syrup and peppermint essential oil (or peppermint extract).
- The choc layer which is my go-to raw chocolate mixture, made of coconut oil, pure maple syrup and raw cacao powder.
Gluten & Dairy Free - suitable for people with gluten and dairy/lactose intolerances.
Easy to Make - these mini raw treats involve several simple steps and about 30 minutes to make.
Healthy wholefood ingredients - which are easy to find at any supermarket, health store, food markets or on-line store.
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED
- Medjool dates
- Raw cashews or macadamias
- Cacao powder
- Desiccated coconut
- Maple syrup
- Peppermint essential oil or peppermint extract
- Coconut oil
TIPS & FAQS
- If you can soak the nuts for the peppermint layer for 2 ore more hours beforehand, it will help to ensure that peppermint layer is nice and smooth.
- Make sure you use top quality food grade peppermint oil to ensure the best flavour. You can also use peppermint extract.
- I highly recommend using a mini muffin silicon tray. It makes the process a whole lot easier.
Looking for other mini raw treats to make? Try these:
Lastly, if you make these mini mint slices I would love to hear from you. You can either leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! If you do make this recipe, please tag me on Instagram! It really makes my day when I see your creations of my recipes.
- 6 medjool dates
- ⅓ cup raw cashews or macadamias
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 1 + ½ cups cashews or macadamias (preferably soaked for a minimum of 4 hours)
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 8 drops peppermint essential oil
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- ⅓ cup raw cacao powder
- Make the base. Process the nuts in a high speed blender or food processor until they resemble fine crumbs. Next, add the cacao powder and process until well combined. Then, add the dates and process until a sticky dough is formed. Spoon mixture into a 24 mini muffin pan and press down with the back of a teaspoon. Place in the freezer while you make the next layer.
- Make the peppermint layer. Process the cashews (or macadamias) and desiccated coconut in a high speed blender and blend until nice and smooth. Add the maple syrup and peppermint essential oil to the mixture and blend until creamy. Add to the bases and smooth over with the back of a teaspoon and place into the freezer for at least 10-20 minutes before you do the next step.
- Make the chocolate layer. melt the coconut oil in saucepan on low heat. Once melted, add the maple syrup, whisking briskly until well combined. Then add the cacao powder, stirring until well mixed through. Using a teaspoon, spoon the chocolate on top of the peppermint layer. Put back into the freezer and let it set completely (around 3-4 hours).
- Storage. I keep mine stored in the freezer in an air tight container and remove them a few minutes before serving.
- I highly recommend using a mini muffin silicone tray as makes the process a whole lot easier. Alternatively, you can use a regular mini muffin tray with mini muffin cases or you can cut out little strips of baking paper to use as tabs.
- When smoothing the layers, you may find it useful to dip the bottom of the spoon in some coconut oil before smoothing the layer. It helps to smooth the layer out.
- The cook time does not include the time it takes for the raw peppermint slice bites to freeze.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 130Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 25mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 1gSugar: 10gProtein: 2g