Prosciutto and Mozzarella Skewers (or Prosciutto and Bocconcini Skewers as they are called in Australia) are one of my favourite appetizers. The combination of prosciutto, mozzarella, tomato and fresh basil is hard to beat. They are the perfect appetizer for Christmas or any celebration.
I love making these skewers whenever I have guests over or get asked to bring a plate to a party. They are always a hit as they taste amazing and they look really good. They are great around Christmas time as the ingredients are the perfect festive colours.
Easy to make - These skewers are really easy to make.
Perfect for parties - they are a winner at parties especially during the festive season.
Made with fresh ingredients - you can purchase them at your local supermarket, market or Italian deli.
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED
- Prosciutto - I highly recommend using top quality prosciutto - Prosciutto di Parma is my top pick.
- Mini mozzarella balls (or cherry bocconcini)
- Cherry tomatoes
- Fresh basil leaves
- Salt & pepper
TIPS & FAQS
They are the same thing! Mozzarella comes in many different sizes, so You want to use the mini-sized ones on the skewers, which in Australia are called Cherry Bocconcini.
I do recommend getting good quality prosciutto as it will be a lot softer and easier to eat. Some cheap prosciutto can be tough and not as enjoyable. Prosciutto de Parma (or Parma Prosciutto) is my favourite and is usually sold at Italian delicattessans. It can be costly, so just do with what your budget allows.
You can make them up to 4 hours ahead of time.
I recommend prepping each of the ingredients separately first. So halve your cherry tomatoes, roll up the prosciutto and wash your basil leaves and dry them on some paper towel. Then place each ingredient in a separate bowl or plate and then start placing them on the toothpicks/skewers.
Looking for other savoury snack recipes:
Lastly, I would love to hear from you if you make this recipe. You can either leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! If you do make this recipe, please tag me on Instagram! It really makes my day when I see your creations of my recipes.
- 8 slices prosciutto, sliced lengthways
- 16 small mozzarella balls (or cherry bocconcini)
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 16 fresh basil leaves, washed and dried
- Sea salt & black pepper, to season
- 16 toothpicks or mini skewers
- Prepare skewers. Roll up one piece of the prosciutto and thread onto a toothpick (or skewer). Then wrap one of the small mozzarella balls with one of the basil leaves, thread onto the toothpick, then add one of the cherry tomato halves. Place on a plate or in a bowl
- Repeat process. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Once all the skewers are placed on a plate or in a bowl, season with salt and pepper.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 114Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 579mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 10g