These Healthy Oven Baked Fries are simply amazing and are made with only 5 ingredients. They are crunchy, delicious and so easy to make.
I love fries! Sweet potato or white potato... both are winners in my book. However, I am not a big fan of fries that are cooked in large amounts of oil and fat. I always oven bake my fries and have perfected many different versions over the years. My garlic butter sweet potato fries are pretty amazing and so are these oven baked fries.
Table of Contents
Gluten & dairy free - suitable for people with gluten & dairy intolerances.
Made with minimal oil - these fries are baked using only 2 tablespoons of olive oil, but have a lovely crisp to them.
Easy to make - these fries are super easy to make. Just slice your potatoes, add your flavours and bake in the oven. Too easy!!
Made with fresh wholefood ingredients - which are easy to find at any supermarket, health store, food markets or on-line store.
Potatoes - I used Creme Gold Washed Potatoes to make these oven baked fries, but you could also use Coliban or any potatoes that are suitable for baking.
Rosemary - I used fresh rosemary for this recipe but you could also use other herbs like oregano, chives or even a mix of herbs. Dried herbs also work well.
Olive oil - I used 2 tablespoons of organic olive oil for this recipe to ensure that the potatoes were crispy.
Garlic - You can use either fresh garlic or even garlic powder to make these fries.
Salt - I forgot to add the salt to the ingredients photo, but I used a pinch of salt in this fries recipe.
Step 1: Slice the potatoes into fries. Slice each potato in half, then half again, then half again and then half one more time. You may find that a few of the fries do not need to be sliced in half the final time. Try to keep the fries in fairly equal sizes as much as you can to ensure that they cook evenly. You can slice into fries and/or wedges as long as you keep them fairly even in size.
Step 2: Mix the flavours. Add the fries to a large bowl with the olive oil, garlic, rosemary and salt and mix thoroughly to combine.
Step 3: Place fries on baking tray. Lined your baking tray with baking paper and then place the fries on the tray. If there is any oil, garlic or herbs in the bowl, then spoon it over the fries.
Step 4: Bake in oven. Place the baking tray on the middle rack of the pre-heated oven on 220C|430F and cook for 25-30 minutes until the fries are golden and crispy. You may need to move the tray around a couple of times, if you notice one side of the tray browning a bit quicker than the other side.
TIPS & FAQS
Make sure you eat straight away to ensure you get to enjoy them crispy. They go super well with a garlic aioli or they are pretty tasty on their own.
You can totally use either fresh or dried herbs in this recipe. It just comes down to what you have available in your kitchen at the time as this is such an easy recipe to make. I prefer using fresh ingredients in my recipes but often I only have dried herbs on hand.
You can use either in this recipe. I always have both fresh garlic and garlic powder in my pantry, but sometimes it is easier to just use the powder, especially if I am trying to get dinner ready as quick as possible.
Looking for other yummy savoury snack recipes? Try these:
Lastly, if you make these healthy fries I would love to hear from you. You can either leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! If you do make this recipe, please tag me on Instagram! It really makes my day when I see your creations of my recipes.
- 3 large baking potatoes (approximately 700 grams total), peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic (minced or sliced thinly)
- 2-3 sprigs fresh rosemary (approximately 1 tablespoon)
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pre-heat oven. Pre-heat your oven to 220 C | 430 F
- Slice the potatoes into fries. Slice each potato in half, then half again, then half again and half one more time. So 4 times in total. Try to ensure that they are fairly even in size.
- Mix the flavours. Add the potatoes, olive oil, garlic, rosemary and salt to a large bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Add fries to a baking tray. Place the fries on baking tray lined with baking paper. Add any remaining olive oil, garlic, rosemary and salt that is remaining in the bowl to the baking tray.
- Bake in oven. Place the baking tray on the middle rack of oven and cook for 25-30 minutes until golden and crispy.
- Serve immediately.
- You can use either fresh or dried herbs in this recipe. My favourite way is using fresh rosemary, but oregano, chives or mix herbs work well too.
- You can use either fresh garlic or garlic powder in this recipe. If using garlic powder, then use 2 teaspoons to replace 2 garlic cloves
- You may need to turn the tray around if you notice the fries cooking quicker on one side of your oven.
- Serve with garlic aioli or they are pretty tasty on their own.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 280Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 65mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 5gSugar: 2gProtein: 6g