This delicious Jaffa Coconut Rough is made with 5 ingredients - coconut oil, cacao, shredded coconut, maple syrup and orange essential oil (or extract).
My coconut rough is one of the easiest healthy chocolate treats that you can make.
It only takes 5 minutes to make and around 30 - 60 minutes to set. It does not get much easier than that. It has been one of my most popular recipes to date for that reason.
I like to add extracts or essential oils to my coconut rough to change up the flavours, like I did with this minty coconut rough.
I have also included the thermomix method for all the thermi users out there.
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS RECIPE
Gluten & dairy free - this recipe is suitable for people with gluten, dairy, nut allergies & intolerances as well as many other dietary requirements.
Easy to make - this recipe takes 5 minutes to make and approximately 1 hour to set.
Healthy wholefood ingredients - which are easy to find at any supermarket.
- Shredded organic coconut (desiccated coconut also works well)
- Coconut oil
- Cacao powder
- Maple syrup
- Orange essential oil (or extract)
How to make using a Thermomix?
- 110 grams coconut oil
- 2 - 3 tablespoons rice malt syrup or pure maple syrup
- 60 grams cacao powder
- 100 grams shredded organic coconut
- 10 - 12 drops orange essential oil or extract
- Add the coconut oil to the thermomix bowl and melt for 1.30 mins / 100 C / speed 2.
- Next add the sweetener and essential oil/extract, mix for 5 seconds / speed 4.
- Then, whisk in the cacao powder for 10 seconds / speed 5.
- Place the shredded coconut in a lined baking pan (15cm x 15cm) and pour the chocolate mixture over the top, ensuring that the coconut is evenly coated.
- Place in the freezer for 30 - 60 minutes to set.
It is best to keep stored in your refrigerator for up to 1 week or you can also store in the freezer for up to 6 months. You will need to allow 5 minutes to thaw out before eating.
You can use honey or rice maple syrup instead of maple syrup. Just ensure that you whisk it with the coconut oil, so that it is combined well and does not separate.
Yes you can! Swap the sweetener with ¼ - ½ teaspoon liquid stevia. Adding too much liquid stevia can leave a bitter after taste. So start with ¼ teaspoon and increase if needed
Here are some more dessert recipes for you to try:
Lastly, if you make this dessert then I would really love to hear from you. You can either leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! If you do make this recipe, please tag me on Instagram! It really makes my day when I see your creations of my recipes.
Jaffa Coconut Rough
- 1 ½ cups shredded coconut desiccated coconut also works well
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup cacao powder
- 2-3 tablespoons maple syrup depending how sweet you want your chocolate
- 10-12 drops food grade orange essential oil or extract
- Make chocolate. Melt the coconut oil in a saucepan on low heat. Once melted, remove from heat, add the maple syrup, whisking briskly until well combined. Then add the cacao powder, stirring until well mixed through.
- Add remaining ingredients. Place the shredded coconut and essential oil/extract into the saucepan and stir through the chocolate mixture. Spread evenly on a lined baking tray and place in the freezer for 30 - 60 minutes to set.
- Slice. Slice in desired sized pieces and serve.