This easy to make Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash is super tasty. Serve it with avocado, tomato, and a fried egg and you have yourself a pretty amazing breakfast.
I originally saw this sweet potato hash recipe on Nom Nom Paleo and decided that I needed to share it with you.
It is a really yummy breakfast to make and it also works as a main meal.
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS RECIPE
Allergy and Intolerance Friendly - this recipe is suitable for people with gluten, dairy, nut allergies & intolerances as well as many other dietary requirements.
Easy to make - this potato hash is super easy to make.
Healthy wholefood ingredients - which are easy to find at any supermarket, health store, food markets or on-line store.
- Sweet potato - would also work well with regular potato
- Herbs and spices - garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano, salt and pepper
- Coconut oil - or you could also use organic butter or olive oil
- Cherry tomatoes
HOW TO MAKE
First thing is to shred the sweet potato. You need to peel and then slice the sweet potato length ways.
The easiest way to shred the potato is with a food processor using the julienne attachment. If you don't have a food processor, then you can use a grater or a mandolin. Once shredded, you add the sweet potato and all the herbs and spices to a bowl and mix well to combine.
Then add some coconut oil (or butter or olive oil) to a frypan on medium heat. Then add the sweet potato mix and cook for approximately 10 minutes. While the potato is cooking fry your eggs and prep the tomatoes and avocados.
To serve, add the sweet potato hash to a plate and top with the avocado, cherry tomato and finally the egg on top.
You can use a grater, mandolin or even a spiralizer to shred the sweet potato. It will take a bit longer to do, so allow some extra time.
Yep! Omit the egg and make sure you use coconut oil or olive oil.
Absolutely! Cumin, chili, paprika are great flavours to try. Use some or all.
Looking for other sweet potato recipes? Try these:
Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash
- 1 sweet potato large
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or another herb
- Pinch sea salt
- Pinch pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil organic butter or coconut oil would also work
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons olive oil organic butter or coconut oil would also work
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1 punnett cherry tomatoes halved
- Prepare sweet potato. Peel and cut the sweet potato lengthways so that it fits in the feeding section of your food processor. Using the julienne attachment of your food processor, shred the sweet potato. Then add the sweet potato and seasonings to a large bowl, mixing well to combine
- Cook sweet potato mixture. Heat the coconut oil in a large fry pan on medium heat, add the sweet potato mixture and mix through the oil for 1 minute. Cover, then cook for 5-10 minutes until the sweet potato is cooked. It should be soft and tender.
- Cook the egg. Meanwhile, add the coconut oil to another fry pan on medium-low heat, crack the eggs into it and cook for 2-3 minutes (depending on your preference)
- Serve. Divide the sweet potato hash between two plates, add the avocado, cherry tomato and top with the egg(s).
- If you don't have a food processor, you can use a grater, mandolin, or even a spiralizer to shred the sweet potato. It will take a bit longer to do, so allow some extra time.
- To make vegan, omit the egg and make sure you use coconut oil or olive oil.
- Experiment with the seasonings. Cumin, chili, paprika are great flavours to try. Use some or all.