This slow cooker beef ragu is the perfect winter meal - the flavours work so well together, the beef is really tender and the sauce is packed full of flavour!
Beef ragu is a meal I grew up eating!
I fondly remember my mama making for us and she would serve it with pasta or rice.
In my version I have made a few substitutions:
- I have substituted in beef stock for the more traditional red wine (in the interests of keeping it healthy!).
- Instead of pasta or rice, I usually serve my ragu with quinoa or cauliflower rice.
- And, of course, I made it in my slow cooker.
What I really love about this meal is that the flavours work so beautifully together. The sauce is rich but it goes so well with the beef that is super tender from the many hours of being it being slow cooked.
- 1 kg | 2.2 lbs chuck steak, cut into small pieces
- ¼ cup arrowroot
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-3 celery stalks (approx 2 cups), chopped
- 2-3 carrots (approx 2 cups), chopped
- 2 small tins organic diced tomatoes
- 1 cup beef stock (preferably home made or organic)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Season meat. Season arrowroot with black pepper and salt in a large bowl, add the chuck steak and coat well.
- Brown the meat. Melt the coconut oil in a large fry pan on moderate heat. Add chuck steak and cook for about 5 minutes until browned on all sides. Remove and add to slow cooker. (You may need to add the steak in batches and use extra coconut oil between batches).
- Cook the ragu. Add the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Serve. Remove from the slow cooker and serve with your favourite side.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 516Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 160mgSodium: 428mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 49g