This Minty Coconut Rough is the yummiest raw chocolate treat. Only takes a couple of minutes to make and 30-60 minutes to set. I have also included the thermomix version.
How good is coconut rough!
I shared my healthy version back in 2015 and it has been one of my most loved recipes ever since.
I make it regularly, probably at least every 1 -2 weeks, plus it is such an easy dessert to make. Great for when you have guests coming over last minute.
Recently, I started adding food grade peppermint essential oil to my coconut rough to make a minty coconut rough.
OMG it is amazing!
So, I have to share this recipe with you. Even though I have only modified it slightly, you definitely need to have this recipe.
I also didn't toast the shredded coconut for this version, as it works well either way. Anything to save a bit of time is always a big plus for me, when I have lots going on (which is all the time these days)
I highly recommend using a food grade peppermint essential oil if you can. Peppermint extract is just not the same as a good quality essential oil and the flavour is definitely not the same.
- 1 + ½ cups shredded organic coconut (desiccated coconut also works well)
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup cacao powder
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 6 drops food grade peppermint essential oil (or peppermint extract)
- Melt the coconut oil in a saucepan on low heat. Once melted, remove from heat, add the maple syrup, whisking briskly until well combined. Then add the cacao powder, stirring until well mixed through.
- Place the shredded coconut and peppermint essential oil into the saucepan and stir through the chocolate mixture. Spread evenly on a lined baking tray and place in the freezer for 30 - 60 minutes to set.
- Slice in desired sized pieces and serve.
- I recommend storing in the freezer to keep it firm.
- Cook time does not include the time it takes for the minty coconut rough to freeze — approximately 30-60 minutes, depending on the temperature of your freezer.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 56Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 4mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 0g
- 110 grams coconut oil
- 2 - 3 tablespoons rice malt syrup or pure maple syrup
- 60 grams cacao powder
- 100 grams shredded organic coconut
- 6 drops food grade peppermint essential oil
- Add the coconut oil to the thermomix bowl and melt for 1.30 mins / 100 C / speed 2.
- Next add the sweetener and essential oil, mix for 5 seconds / speed 4.
- Then, whisk in the cacao powder for 10 seconds / speed 5.
- Place the shredded coconut in a lined baking pan (15cm x 15cm) and pour the chocolate mixture over the top, ensuring that the coconut is evenly coated.
- Place in the freezer for 30 - 60 minutes to set.
Cook time does not include the time it takes for the minty coconut rough to freeze — approximately 30-60 minutes, depending on the temperature of your freezer.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 66Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 10mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 1g