These Healthy Chocolate Covered Caramels are little pieces of chocolate caramel heaven. Best of all they are gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free.
One of my absolute favourite sweets as a child was chocolate caramel candies and I love that I have made this healthier, refined sugar free version.
I am a big fan of making chocolate coated sweets like these No Bake Chocolate Coconut Bars
These healthy chocolate caramels are seriously yummy and so simple to make.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
Easy to Make - this recipe is very easy to make. All you need is a food processor or a high speed blender to process the caramel ingredients.
Allergy Friendly - these bars are gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free and refined sugar-free.
Healthy wholefood ingredients - which are easy to find at any supermarket.
Ingredients You Need
TO MAKE THE CARAMEL CENTRE
- Medjool dates - these are the best dates to use when you want your mixture to stick together.
- Macadamias or cashews
- Maple syrup
- Coconut oil
- Vanilla extract
FOR THE CHOCOLATE COATING
- Coconut oil
- Maple syrup
- Cacao powder
How to Make
The caramel centres are made by processing the ingredients and then allowing them to set in a baking tin. Then once they have set, you slice them into squares or even bars. Then you prepare the chocolate coating and coat each one and place in the freezer to set on a plate or cooling rack on top of a baking tray.
My Recipe Tip
Make a double batch of chocolate and coat each chocolate caramels a second time.
You can either store in your refrigerator or in your freezer.
Make sure to keep them stored in an air-tight container and they will last up to 1 week in your refrigerator or up to 6 months in your freezer.
I highly recommend using Medjool dates to use in this recipe. Medjool dates are sticky so they really bind together all the ingredients really well. Regular dates do not cut it, unless you add in some coconut oil or nut butter.
Looking for other chocolate caramel desserts to make? Try these:
Lastly, if you make this recipe, then I would really love to hear from you. You can either leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! If you do make this recipe, please tag me on Instagram! It really makes my day when I see your creations of my recipes.
Healthy Chocolate Covered Caramels
- 12 medjool dates pits removed
- ½ cup coconut oil melted
- 1 ½ tablespoons tahini both unhulled and hulled tahini work
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 cup cashews or macadamias
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup water
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ cup cacao powder
- Make the Caramel: Process caramel centre ingredients in a food processor or high speed blender until completely combined and smooth. You may need to add a little more water to help blend the ingredients. Pour mixture into a lined square baking tin and place into the freezer to set for at least 2 hours, preferably longer. This will ensure that they are easy to cut and coat in the chocolate.
- Make the chocolate coating: Melt the coconut oil in saucepan on low heat. Once melted, add the maple syrup, whisking until well combined. Then add the cacao powder, stirring well until well mixed through.
- Coat the caramels: Take the caramels out of the freezer, dip each piece into the chocolate sauce and place on a wire rack on top of lined baking tray (make sure the tray fits in your freezer).
- Allow to set: Freeze until the chocolate has hardened (approximately 30 - 60 minutes).