Slow Cooker Butter Chicken is one of the tastiest slow cooker meals ever and it is so easy to prepare too.
Butter chicken is one of my favourite meals and it is so easy to make using a slow cooker. This recipe only requires a few steps and the end result is an amazing tasting meal. You can serve with rice, quinoa and/or green vegetables.
If you are wanting a quicker method to ccok butter chicken then you must check out my Instant pot butter chicken.
Gluten & dairy free - suitable for people with gluten & dairy intolerances.
Easy to make - this recipe is super easy to make and requires only a few steps.
Packed full of flavour - you can't beat the amazing flavour of this recipe.
Made with fresh wholefood ingredients - which are easy to find at any supermarket, health store, food markets or on-line store.
WHAT IS A SLOW COOKER
- A slow cooker is a pot that either sits inside a heating plate or it sits inside a unit.
- They typically heat from the bottom and as such, some dishes will burn or the food will stick to the bottom if there is not enough amount of fluid in the pot.
- They usually have three settings; high, low and keep warm.
Cooking is so easy when you use a slow cooker (easy enough that you don't need to settle for takeaway, so long as you plan a little bit ahead) and the results are fantastic.
If you are cooking meat, it is always really tender or falling off the bone, depending on what cut of meat you are cooking.
SLOW COOKER MEAL TIPS
- Use the low setting whenever possible. This will help to bring out the flavours of the dish you are cooking. I only recommend using the high setting, if you are running short on time.
- Roll the meat in some tapioca flour (or other healthy thickener) to help thicken up the liquid while cooking
- Always add the greens towards the end of cooking. This will ensure that they are not too soggy and/or discoloured.
- Make sure you keep the lid on to ensure that no heat escapes and your meal is cooked properly
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3-4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 + ¾ cups coconut milk (coconut cream also works)
- ¾ cup organic tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder (add more if you like it hotter)
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1.25kg chicken thighs (or breasts), cut into small pieces
- Fresh coriander, to serve
- Saute onion and garlic. Heat coconut oil in a large saucepan on medium high heat. Add onion and garlic, cook, stirring frequently for approximately 3 minutes or until the onions have become translucent.
- Make sauce. Add coconut milk, tomato paste, tapioca flour, garam masala, curry powder, chili powder and ginger powder, stirring until well combined and the sauce has started to thicken. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook. Add chicken to the slow cooker, then add the sauce and mix through the chicken. Cover and cook on low heat for 5 hours.
- Serve. Serve with the coriander and your favourite sides (mine with quinoa).
I love to add fresh broccoli and cauliflower in the last hour of cooking and then serve with quinoa.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 589Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 272mgSodium: 445mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 52g