This Roast Beetroot, Onion and Macadamia Dip is a healthy alternative to the supermarket dips which are often packed full of preservatives and additives. It tastes amazing as well as being gluten, dairy and preservative free.
I have been wanting to create a dip involving beetroot, onion and macadamia for quite some time now.
I am a fan of having crackers and dip (with a glass of white wine) on a Friday or Saturday afternoon (sometimes both), but am sick of finding dips that are packed full of preservatives and additives.
It was time to create my own!
This dip goes really well with either Rosemary + Sesame Seed Crackers or Paleo Crackers and is gluten, dairy and refined sugar free.
- 3 - 4 beetroots
- 1 onion, peeled and roughly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 cup macadamias
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1-2 toothpicks of cumin essential oils (or 1 teaspoon dried cumin)
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pre-heat oven to 180 C | 360 F
- Place beetroots on baking tray and cover with foil. Cook for 40 minutes. Next, add the onion and garlic to the baking tray, cover with the foil and cook for a further 10 minutes. Finally, add the macadamias to the baking tray , cover with the foil and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Remove the baking tray from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Peel the skin off the beetroots (you may want to wear latex gloves for this part) and add to a food processor (or a blender or thermomix) with the onion, garlic, macadamias, lemon juice, tahini, cumin and sea salt and process until your reach your desired consistency.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve with your favourite crackers.