This raw cherry ripe slice is inspired by the popular chocolate bar but without the added nasties. The flavour is truly amazing and you can also make it with a nut free base.
I used to be a big fan of store bought chocolate and desserts that you can buy from the patisserie or bakery.
However these days, I much prefer to make my own sweets. And to be honest with you, I think they taste so much better and they are much healthier, which is a big win. This cherry ripe slice was inspired by the popular chocolate bar that I used to have a long time ago! It was always one of my faves.
However my healthy cherry ripe slice is gluten, dairy and refined sugar free, making it also suitable for vegan and paleo.
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED
- Macadamias (you can sub with shredded coconut and medjool dates if you want it nut free)
- Cacao powder
- Coconut oil
- Maple syrup
- Desiccated (or shredded) coconut
- De-stoned cherries (fresh or frozen)
- Medjool dates
- Coconut cream
- Vanilla extract
- Cacao butter (or melted coconut oil)
- You can make it nut free, by substituting the nuts in the base with shredded coconut and medjool dates.
- You can substitute cacao butter for coconut oil if you don't have cacao butter handy.
- I highly recommend shaving or chopping the cacao butter into smaller portions before adding to the double boiler.
MORE RAW DESSERTS FOR YOU TO TRY
- 1 cup of macadamias
- ⅓ cup of cacao powder
- 3 tablespoons of melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons of organic maple syrup
- 2 cups of desiccated (or shredded) coconut
- 1 cup of de-stoned cherries, (fresh or frozen both work)
- 10 medjool dates, pitted
- ¼ cup of coconut cream
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ½ cup of cacao butter (or melted coconut oil)
- ½ cup of cacao powder
- ¼ cup of organic maple syrup
- Make the base. Place all base ingredients in a food processor and process until well mixed and the macadamias are crushed. Firmly press with the back of a spoon into a lined tin and place in the freezer.
- Make the cherry layer. Place all of the centre ingredients into the blender and blend until smooth. Spoon the mixture onto the base. Place back into freezer and let set for at least 30 minutes.
- Make the chocolate layer. Melt the cacao butter in a double boiler on low heat Add the organic maple syrup to the double boiler and whisk until combined. Whisk in the cacao powder. When well combined pour over the centre.
- Freeze and store. Put back into the freezer and let it set completely (around 1 hour). Remove from the tin, slice straight away and store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer (I recommend the freezer as it keeps the slice really firm).
HOT TIP: I highly recommend shaving or chopping the cacao butter into smaller portions before adding to the double boiler.
Nut free base alternative ingredients
- 13 medjool dates, pitted
- 2 cups shredded organic coconut
- ⅓ cup raw cacao powder
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
The cook time does not include the time it takes for the raw cherry ripe slice to freeze
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 201Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 3mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 2gSugar: 15gProtein: 2g