Gluten Free Chicken Schnitzel. You would never know that it was gluten free! The crumb is made of almond meal and is so delicious!
I love chicken schnitzel!
In the days before I started thinking more critically about my eating, I would always order either Chicken Schnitzel or Chicken Parmigiana when I went to a club or pub for lunch or dinner. (Ok, sometimes I would order Calamari. But you get my drift. I am a fan of a fried, crumbed meal).
To my credit, I can't remember the last time I ordered any of those meals. It has been a long, long time. Go me!
So, when I came up with a a gluten free chicken schnitzel that didn't feel like a poor alternative to the "real thing", I was cheering.
It is also keto, low carb and paleo friendly!
I strongly recommend you try it - it's one of those meals that you really wouldn't know was gluten-free unless you were told otherwise! I recommend serving with a fresh, healthy salad, like my Pumpkin, Beetroot & Avocado Salad.
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced in half
- ¼ cup arrowroot (or tapioca flour)
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 cup almond meal
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika (optional)
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Place the chicken breasts between cling wrap and flatten with a meat tenderiser, or roll with a rolling pin, until they are nice and thin.
- To make the crumb mixture: add the almond meal, coconut flour, sea salt and pepper to a shallow bowl, mixing to combine. Place the egg and arrowroot flour in separate shallow bowls. Dip each piece of chicken into the arrowroot flour, then egg, then the crumb mixture. Make sure that they are evenly coated. Place in a baking dish and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Pre-heat large fry pan on medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon coconut oil and cook each schnitzel for 4-5 minutes each side.
- Serve with lemon wedges and your favourite sides.
How to butterfly chicken - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqjfQP3Mp2k
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 440Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 144mgSodium: 356mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 5gSugar: 4gProtein: 31g