After making my Raw Chocolate Caramel Pie, I realised that the top chocolate layer tasted just like chocolate paddle pop. My brief googling tells me that Paddle Pops aren't available many places outside Australia - you'll have to believe me when I say that this is a very, very favourable comparison (and you are missing out, sorry!).
So, I decided that the next dessert I would attempt is a Dairy Free Chocolate Ice Cream, which I am proud to be bringing you today.
This was a really easy dessert to make. I don't have an ice cream maker - which might make it even easier, or give an even better result, but believe me, if you follow the steps below, you'll get a delicious, creamy dessert that is every bit as good as the traditional alternative.
One thing I found is that the ice cream will become quite solid once it's been in the freezer long enough. To get a creamy consistency, you'll need to let it thaw out (for approximately 60 minutes, depending on the quantity you have left) or cut a piece and place it in the microwave for 5-10 seconds.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and if you have any suggestions on improving it, I would love to know about it.
- 1 cup coconut oil
- ⅔ cup organic maple syrup
- 1 cup organic cacao powder
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 2 cups coconut milk (canned variety)
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add coconut oil to small saucepan on low heat and stir until melted.
- Remove from the heat and add the organic maple syrup, whisking briskly until well combined.
- Add the cacao powder, stirring until well combined.
- Add the mixture, coconut cream, coconut milk and vanilla extract to a blender and blend on low for 30 seconds.
- Pour mixture onto freezer-proof container and place in the freezer to set (minimum 2 hours).
- Always keep in the freezer and remove 60 minutes before serving to allow it to thaw out.
The ice cream will become quite solid once it's been in the freezer long enough. To get a creamy consistency, you'll need to let it thaw out (for approximately 60 minutes, depending on the quantity you have left) or cut a piece and place it in the microwave for 5-10 seconds.This ice cream will get very hard, so if you are in a hurry to eat it, then I recommend cutting a piece out and placing in the microwave for 5-10 seconds to soften
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 494Total Fat: 37gSaturated Fat: 31gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 19mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 2gSugar: 28gProtein: 4g