- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons organic unsalted butter (you can also use olive oil)
- 2 cups split red lentils, rinsed well
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- l litre organic or natural vegetable stock
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 drop cumin essential oil (or 1 tablespoon ground cumin)
- 2–3 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 cup organic quinoa, cooked as per packet directions
- 2 – 3 lemons, juiced
- OPTIONAL – 1 drop lemon essential oil
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan on low heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and saute for 10 minutes or until the onion has softened.
- Add the remaining ingredients (except the lemon, quinoa and essential oils (if using)) and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 20 minutes or until the red lentils are falling apart.
- Blend the soup with a hand stick blender.
- Add the quinoa and essential oils to the soup and stir through.
- Add the lemon (I recommended adding the lemon slowly and tasting as you go as some people prefer it to have more lemon than others).
If using essential oils, then make sure you add them at the end of the recipe with the cooked quinoa.