Wheat and dairy free Banana bread – more like a cake though!
- 2 large organic bananas or 3-4 medium ones (you want them brown and spotty)
- 1.5 cups roasted unsalted cashews
- 1 cup almond meal/flour
- 1/3 cup of walnuts
- 2Tbl of coconut oil
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1.5 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (bi-carb of soda)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 180 C degrees.
- Pull out your food processor. It will make life a lot easier. Add your cashews to the food processor to grind down.
- Once your get a fine cashew meal, add your walnuts and oil while your food processor is still on until you get a cashew butter.
- Peel your bananas, roughly break them up, and add to your food processor with the cashews and walnuts. Turn your food processor on and let combine for a minute or so until you have a soupy paste.
- Now in a large bowl, whisk your eggs, then add your cashew/ walnut /banana mixture along with almond meal, bicarb of soda, baking powder, honey, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt. Mix to combine until you get a batter.
- Line and grease a bread/ rectangle cake loaf pan with some oil. I used a loaf pan that is 11cm x 22cm (tapering to the base a bit) and it works well. You could use larger for more squat loaf of bread, just may cook for less time or differently.
- Pour batter into your greased loaf pan.
- Place in oven and bake for 40-50 minutes or until bread is cooked through (put a skewer in to see if it comes out clean) and the top of your loaf has a bit of a “crisp” to it.
- Let bread cool for about 10 minutes. Enjoy !! The bread will keep beautifully in a container in the fridge for about a week….but doesn’t last that long in our house.